King Solomon was a very interesting Biblical character. He is said to have dreamed of asking God for wisdom to guide God’s people and our Father’s Spirit did in deed give him great wisdom, to the point that he was said to be the wisest, richest and most powerful man in the world and he was sought out by people all over the world for his wisdom. King Solomon learned a lot from experience and part of that experience that taught him much was going through a time in his life where he turned his eyes to the world and all that it could offer to him as a means of providing him fulfillment in life. The result was that he proclaimed everything in the world as worthless!!!
King Solomon’s name means “peace,” but he enjoyed none of it while he wrote his book about all that was “under the sun.” During the process, he grew deflated, depressed and disillusioned about life based on living for this world. He lost the wind in his sail would be one way to say it or you could also say it that he lost all of his joy as he contemplated life “under the sun” without God. YIKES and how sad would that be?!! Oh, let’s not go there!!!
Because King Solomon gave up his true mission in life for a time to study the world without God, he teaches us these things thru his experience:
- There is no profit. Life without God is an exercise in futility. Generations come and go and all we do is move stuff around. “What profit has a man from all his labor in which he toils under the sun? One generation passes away, and another generation comes; but the earth abides forever.” Ecclesiastes 1:3-4
- There is no purpose. The sun rises only to set again, endlessly repeating a meaningless cycle. Wind blows, river flows, all in monotony. “The wind goes towards the south, and turns around to the north; the wind whirls about continually, and comes again on its circuit. All the rivers run into the sea. Yet the sea is not full; to the place from which the rivers come, there they return again.” Ecclesiastes 1:5-7
- There is no progress. There is no satisfaction; there’s nothing new under the sun, nor pleasant remembrance of earlier life. “All things are full of labor; Man cannot express it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which it may be said, “See, this is new”? It has already been in ancient times before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of things that are to come by those who will come after.” Ecclesiastes 1:8-11
When a person seeks to live in life without an eternal divine perspective, they fall into the trap of meaninglessness life mindset. Having significant, meaningful goals are important. With King Solomon’s experience and conclusion of life “under the sun” without God, it is learned that:
- If nothing worthwhile exists under the sun, our only hope must lie above it.
- If the person with everything investigated every visible delight and still wound up unsatisfied, then what satisfies must be invisible.
- If the wisest man on earth finds no answers under heaven, then we must look to heaven itself for those answers.
Our Father tells us in His Word, His written love letter to us so that we understand there is meaning to our lives here and a divine eternal purpose as His royal children of God:
“For I know the plans that I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
He also tells us we find those plans in this way:
“Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord…”
As we pray, look to what our Father tells us in His written Word, the Bible, of which King Solomon’s added experienced wisdom lends to, we learn and understand what life here on earth is all about, what our Father’s heart is for us and the correct perspective of things of this life. We learn that we are loved and cared for and part of heavenly support system that is actually leading to a forever grand plan of bliss for us and that the things we do here on earth make a difference here and there!!! It is in the knowledge of this and personally experiencing the reaffirmation of God’s Holy Spirit manifesting to us each that our faith is made genuine!!! Personally experiencing our Father’s reassurance that we are His beloved child, heirs into His glorious kingdom of riches with Christ and seeing the power of His Spirit working in our personal lives, it gives life true meaning, joy and delight in loving our King of Glory back for His love that first loved us and made forever life with Him all possible through Jesus!!! I am sooo thankful our sweet Father has a meaningful life and plan for us as His kids!!! WOOOHOOO!!! I’m a gal going with His love, grace, joy, peace and power in life and I delight with my Father who loves me forever and you too as His child of faith in Christ Jesus!!! Now how awesome and meaningful is all of that to a heart!!! Our Father spoke to King Solomon and told him that “what a person desires is unfailing love.” (Proverbs 19:22) I am glad King Solomon finally realized the value of our Father and that all of life is meaningful with Him!!! He concluded:
“Fear (reverence) God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.”
As we study the Bible as a whole and in context, we understand that we are all created and saved for God’s eternal Kingdom by His love and grace through the story of Christ’s finished work on the cross and not by our own works or duty, but our Father has given us His Word or commandments to guide us in life and help us understand the meaning of our lives here and what is the best for us to know in life to have a good life and His abundant joy!!! We learn He has a divine purpose for each of our lives and we are each one created special and equipped to carry out that purpose here on earth!!! I am sooo thankful to have Jesus in my life!!! Is there a place in your life that is lacking abundant joy, dear one??? Ask our Father and He can and will show His kids what they need to see to have fullness of joy in Him!!! Now how sweet is He to want that for us!!!
I love this song here that speaks of the joy of the Holy Spirit with us as His kids of faith!!! Let’s go for that divine plan in life together with Father, shall we?!! Much love to you where you are!!!